The managing editor oversees all sections during the editing cycle to ensure that editors have access to proper resources and that all sections are running smoothly.The managing editor also participates in editing pieces, and ensures that they are written in informative, engaging, and appropriate ways, and follow correct grammar and The Argosy’s style guidelines. The managing editor also provides assistance to the editor(s)-in-chief for tasks related to but not limited to: training, administration, and human resources, and acts as one of four signing authorities.
- Assisting editor(s)-in-chief prepare for year ahead during summer 2018 (this is not full-time and can be done online)
- Attending and preparing (with editor(s)-in-chief) the weeklong training session to occur on the first week of school, which will be held every day in the late afternoon, early evening after school
- Attending weekly pitch meeting from 5:30 – 7 p.m. on Mondays, and arriving with ideas of what content should be included in the following week’s paper
- Attending production night from 5:30 – 12:00 p.m., or later if needed, to assist editors put content to Canadian Press style and oversee all sections of production
- Editing articles on Sunday evenings (lightly), on Monday evening (primarily) and Tuesday
- Creating content (see reporter’s duties) as needed
Applicants should possess strong written and spoken communication skills and a strong grasp of English grammar and story structure. They should be good team-players, reliable. Applicants should have interest in improving their writing and communicating abilities as well as helping others improve theirs in a respectful and constructive manner.
Previous journalistic and/or editorial experience not necessary, but an asset.
Honorarium: 1800 – 2500
To apply to a reporting or editing position, please upload a cover letter, CV, and three writing samples.