Positions available in:
- Arts and Culture
- Sports and Health
Editors oversee their sections to ensure that certain stories/pieces are covered, are written in informative, engaging, and appropriate ways, and follow correct grammar and The Argosy’s style guidelines. Editors also ensure that content is accompanied with engaging and appropriate visuals by communicating with reporters, contributors and visual staff, or sourcing material themselves. On production nights, editors layout sections to appear in print format. Throughout the news cycle, editors communicate with reporters, contributors, and editorial staff to ensure that their sections are filled with quality material.
- Attending weeklong training session on first week of school, which will be held every day in the late afternoon, early evening after school
- Attending weekly pitch meeting from 5:30 – 7 p.m. on Mondays, and arriving with ideas of what content should be included in the following week’s paper
- Attending production night from 5:30 – 10:00 p.m., or later if needed, to lay out section
- Editing articles on Sunday evenings (primarily) and throughout Monday and Tuesday as needed
- Creating content (see reporter’s duties) as needed
Applicants should possess strong written and spoken communication skills, a strong grasp of English grammar and story structure, and a keen attention to detail. Applicants should also be able to speak to previous/ongoing engagement in certain community areas, such as sports, arts, music, politics, etc. Applicants should be punctual, proactive, and have interest in improving their writing and communicating abilities as well as helping others improve theirs in a respectful and constructive manner.
Previous journalistic and/or editorial experience not necessary, but an asset.
Honorarium: 1500 (News and Arts and Culture), 1300 (Sports and Health), 1200 (Opinions), 1000 (Humour)
To apply to a reporting or editing position, please upload a cover letter, CV, and three writing samples.